Gas leaks can result in increased energy bills and health concerns. The unpleasant smell makes detecting large gas leaks easy. The problem arises when it comes to smaller gas leaks. They cause serious damage since they are really hard to detect.
The biggest problem they create is the risk to your health. Gas leaks pollute the air with toxins. Overexposure to the poisonous gas can lead to headaches, nausea, respiratory problems, and many other health problems.
To avoid risk to your health, call for gas line repair in Sugar Land at once. Professionals can inspect your home completely and remove any leaks from promptly. However, every homeowner needs to learn how to detect gas leaks as well. This can protect them from harm and solve the problem much quicker.
Causes for Gas Leaks
Gas leaks can occur due to a lot of different reasons. They include:
- Poorly fitted pipes: Gas can escape from the joints between pipes if they aren’t attached properly.
- Badly maintained appliances: If broken components are neglected too long they can develop leaks. Old appliances are more likely to develop problems if they aren’t well-maintained.
- Poor quality pipes: Such pipes can deteriorate faster, increasing chances of collapse.
Signs of Gas Leaks
Gas lines can corrode over time from wear and tear. It doesn’t matter whether the gas lines run above or over the ground; they can both develop leaks. It is important to detect such gas leaks on time. Learning what signs and symptoms to look out for is important for any homeowner.
1. Hissing Sounds
Gas leaks can emit a hissing sound when the gas is escaping from the lines. However, only big gas leaks emit sounds which are actually audible to the ear. It is important to call services for gas line repair in Sugar Land at once if you hear this sound. Neglect of such leaks can result in damage to health and property, which means high financial costs. The biggest issue is if the gas leak catches on fire which can be highly dangerous.
2. Rotten Egg Smell
Natural gas is odorless and colorless which can make detection hard. Gas companies are instructed to add an unpleasant odor to the gas before releasing it for use. If you smell a sulfurous or rotten egg smell, it is a good idea to call professional services for gas line repair in Sugar Land. They can easily detect where the leak and fix the issue.
3. Low Pressure in Gas Appliances
If your gas based oven or water heater is malfunctioning, it could mean gas leaks. A rupture in gas lines means not enough gas is making its way to your appliances. Keep an eye on your heating systems and appliances and call a professional in gas line repair in Sugar Land if needed.
4. Mist or Fog
Natural gas can create unusual clouds around the house if the humidity and temperature are right. Gas leaks can create changes in the atmospheric pressure if they are big enough. Complete gas line collapse will create fog or mist, which can be very dangerous. This will also result in high costs for your home.
5. Dead Plants or Trees
This symptom only shows up if you have underground gas lines. Gas leaks in underground gas lines can be hard to detect so keep an eye on any plants on trees that begin to wilt. Natural gas can also make vegetables or fruits change color.
If the plants and trees in your garden appear to be dying without an apparent reason, it can be a sign of underground gas leaks. Natural gas blocks oxygen from reaching the trees which cause them to wilt. To make sure if you have a gas leak, call an expert in gas line repair in Sugar Land.
6. High Energy Bills
Gas leaks can increase energy bills exponentially. The usage in your house may stay the same, but you may notice a sudden hike in gas bills. This isn’t normal and your home may need gas line inspections.
7. Health Concerns
Long exposure to the natural gas can result in all sorts of health issues. Big gas leaks can prevent proper amounts of oxygen from reaching your body. Inhaling a lot of poisonous gas can also result in several side effects. If you experience some of the health issues below, without reason, then you may want to call a service for gas line repair in Sugar Land.
- Chest pains
- Difficulty in breathing or irregular breathing
- Light-headedness or dizziness
- Flu-like symptoms
8. The Bubble Test
The bubble test can let you know if you have a gas leak in the house. It is an easy method which uses a basic mixture of water and soap. After making the mixture, turn on the gas. Dip the cloth in the soap mixture and swipe the suspected area with the cloth. Look out for any bubbles that may appear on the area. If bubbles appear, call for gas line repair in Sugar Land at once. They can check the gas line properly and make repairs if needed.
Post Detection Steps
Make sure to do the following steps if you think you have gas leaks:
- Keep all windows and doors open to increase ventilation.
- Switch off any electrical appliances to reduce changes of electrical sparks.
- Do not use lighters or matches or else it can lead to a fire.
- Do not attempt to locate the leak or fix the gas line. You may make the issue worse.
- Make sure you and your family aren’t anywhere in the vicinity of the gas leak to prevent health concerns.
- Inform neighbors of a potential gas leak so they can keep away and avoid using anything that may cause a fire.
- Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing the professionals for gas line repairs in Sugar Land to fix the issue immediately.